Eat fresh!

The other day I was at my Kettlecise Class and half way through I begun to feel not very well!! and I realised that before the class I had had some spinach that was not very fresh!!

It was the only thing I could put it down to in the end, it is REALLY important that when you are juiceing that you eat all fresh vegitables.  As a result I felt like I was going to be sick.  It was the strangest feeling.  I was not very well at all.

I dashed back home wondering if I was going to be sick and in the end I was fine, it just seemed to gradually go in the end, but I really did not feel very well.

So I learned my lesson there always eat fresh!  Here is something quite interesting about keeping vegitable for too long….

Food-Borne Illness

Bacteria, mold and yeast are the primary sources of illnesses caused by consuming old vegetables. Damaged or bruised vegetables are prime targets for decay and infection during storage, but even vegetables that are in good condition might harbor dangers. Imperfections on the surface of your vegetables are prime locations for the entry of invisible bacteria. Some bacteria are present on the skin of vegetables when you bring them into your home, and they have the ability to thrive even in a cold environment. Mold and yeasts often result from less-than-ideal temperatures during storage or simply keeping vegetables so long that they begin to decay, which provides an opportunity for these culprits to develop and grow.


Vegetable Safety

Eating vegetables infected with mold, yeast or bacteria can result in serious illness or even death. Some symptoms of food poisoning from old vegetables include vomiting and diarrhea, sometimes accompanied by a fever. Mold on vegetables also causes respiratory problems when you inhale the spores. Discard soft, watery vegetables that have an unusual smell, black spots or a fuzzy growth. These are all signs of decomposition, which increases the likelihood of microbial infection. Some harder vegetables — such as cabbage, broccoli, onions and potatoes — are safe to eat after you remove the infected sections, according to Baylor College of Medicine. However, when you cut away the infected area, it is possible to miss the roots of molds and yeasts inside your vegetables. Take care to keep your knife from touching the spoiled area. This leads to cross-contamination of the unspoiled part.

So dont forget the fresher the better!!!!


This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s